Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Day Before Halloween

Here's what I got up to today.

1. I finally baked Chris his Crustless Pumpkin Pie. I want to say that this recipe was really easy because it didn't require many ingredients, everything went in one bowl and the prep time was less than 10 minutes. But I can't say that because it didn't really turn out like it was supposed to so I suppose there was an element of difficulty that I wasn't even aware of!


The only tricky bit about the ingredients was separating out the egg whites. I know you can buy all sorts of fancy tools to aid in this process but I just break the egg into my hand and then let the white drip through my fingers into a bowl. No broken yolks today which was nice :) 


This is the final product. It came out more like pumpkin mousse than pumpkin pie since it never really firmed up despite spending an extra 15 minutes in the oven. Oh well, Chris said it tasted great.

2. We decorated the outside of the house for Halloween. I'd been saving the outdoor decorations to avoid things blowing away or getting stolen. Of course not an hour after we had put everything outside it started raining and my cardboard Happy Halloween banner went all curly and weird. I don't think the kids will mind either way.





These little pumpkins are sitting in the front window looking out at the porch. I think they are so cute. I've had them for years but I still remember that I bought all three for only a dollar!

3. I carved our pumpkin. Up until today we hadn't even bought a pumpkin so I was thinking that we probably wouldn't bother this year but then Chris surprised me with one when he came back from his morning assignment (mostly because he wanted to eat the seeds, I think!). I'm not great at carving but I got a little kit last year and it helps a lot to have the proper tools. I will also admit that I used a stencil for this. I wish I had a better picture, it looks a lot better in person!


All in all, a pretty productive day considering that I also cleaned the house from top to bottom and cooked dinner (a big deal since Chris is the cook in our house). Now I'm off to make chocolate bones. I can't tell you why yet but you'll see the finished product tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment