Tuesday, March 22, 2011

DIY Utensil Art

When I saw Spunky Junky's Utensil Wall Art submission over at One Month To Win It I knew I had to try it myself since my kitchen walls are so bare. At the time, it was an anonymous contest submission so there was no obviously no tutorial. Since then, Halsey has posted instructions but I had to go it alone because I was too impatient to wait.


Two weekends ago I dragged my poor husband to Value Village (not his favourite place!) to find some old utensils and pictures frames. I was not disappointed - there were TONS of bags of utensils to choose from so I picked ones that had details on the handles. I got six pieces for $0.99. I also picked up a wooden frame for $1.99.


The first step is to clean everything really well. Once that was done I sanded the finish off the frame until I was left with bare wood and then painted it white with acrylic paint and a brush. It took two coats until it looked good as new.

The next step was painting the utensils. This part was a bit trickier since I was using a brush when I really should have used spray paint but I persevered. It took about three coats to get a smooth finish and I worried that paint would glob up in the details on the handles but it didn't and they are still completely visible.


Once everything was dry I cut a piece of scrapbook paper to fit my frame, inserted it and then hot glued my utensils on. Voila - art for my kitchen that only cost me $3!


I have an extra set of painted utensils just waiting for a frame. I'm thinking it might make a cool housewarming gift. Thanks to Halsey for the inspiration!

4 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah another great idea and it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have some vintage utensils from California that I wanted to do this to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I think it's perfect for kitchen/dining room decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome lady! I love how it turned out! Thanks for linking up!

    Love your guts
    mandi

    ReplyDelete