Wednesday, March 14, 2012

By the Batch – Cream Cheese Filled Snicker Doodles

I love Pinterest. I had a 8oz of cream cheese sitting in my fridge, nearing its expiration date and no idea what to make with it. A quick Pinterest search for “cream cheese” and I had tons of recipe ideas to choose from. While it was hard to pick just one I decided to go with these Cream Cheese Filled Snicker Doodles from Cookies & Cups.  I was not disappointed!

Cream Cheese Snicker Doodles

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup room temp butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • Filling
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

Make the cream cheese filling by mixing the cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp vanilla. I used my hand mixer for this. Cover the cream cheese mixture and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400°. Cream butter and 1 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix until combined. On low speed mix in your flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Set dough to the side.

In a small bowl combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon, set that aside as well. Remove the cream cheese mixture from the refrigerator. For each cookie you will need 2 flattened balls of dough, 1 Tbsp each. (The flattened disk will be approx 2″ in diameter). Place 1 tsp of the cream cheese mixture on top of one of the flattened dough disks. Then place the other flattened dough on top of the cream cheese. Pinch the edges together to seal. Carefully form into a ball and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on a plate as you finish making each and refrigerate. Before baking the cookies they should chill for 15 minutes.

When the dough is chilled bake on a parchment lined baking sheet 2″ apart for 8 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

According to Sarah:

I’ll admit that I was impatient (as was baby Nathan) so I didn’t do all the chilling that this recipe required. My cream cheese mixture only sat for about 15 minutes in the fridge and the completed cookies didn’t chill at all. I don’t think my cookies were any worse for it so if you’re in a hurry then go ahead and skip those steps. My only complaint about this recipe is that I ended up with a lot of cream cheese mixture left over, even though I measured a tsp for each cookie as directed. Now I need to come up with something delicious to make with the excess. So maybe that isn’t a complaint after all ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment