Monday, July 30, 2012

By the Batch – Peach Cobbler

Recently we were given a bunch of peaches and I needed to come up with a way to use them. I’m not really much for fruit (I know, it’s weird – I’m told that fruit is delicious) but Chris loves fruity desserts so I thought I’d try my hand at cobbler. This recipe from Sing For Your Supper was intriguing because it calls for a biscuit topping instead of the traditional pie crust topping I’m used to so I thought I’d give it a try. And you know, it was so good that even I loved it!

Peach Cobbler

Ingredients

4 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
1 cup sugar
squirt fresh lemon juice

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup boiling water

For Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture:
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the sliced peaches in a large pot and add just enough water to cover. Stir in the 1 cup sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until peaches are soft and most of the water has cooked down; about 20 minutes. Remove peaches with a slotted spoon and reserve 1/2 cup juice. Place peaches and reserved juice in a greased 9×9 baking dish.

To make the topping: In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until texture resembles oatmeal or small peas. Stir in water until just combined.

Drop spoonfuls of topping over the peaches and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes. Serves 6.

According to Sarah

I didn’t even think I was going to try this dessert but the peaches smelled so good while they were cooking that I thought I’d taste it just in case and it was delicious! Best eaten fresh from the oven, the biscuit crust was crisp on top but soft and buttery underneath. The peaches cooked down with just the sugar and lemon juice were sweet and fresh tasting.

One word of caution, I thought this recipe looked quite simple but it actually took me almost two hours to make. Nothing was too complicated but there were a lot of steps when you factor in preparing the peaches. Blanching them for 60 seconds made taking the skins off much easier but it was still a time consuming process to peel and slice 6 peaches. Though that’s not to say it wasn’t worth the effort!

 
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway! We’re giving away four 5x7 prints of your choice courtesy of Marianne LoMonaco. Only a couple of days left to enter!

No comments:

Post a Comment